Friday, May 2, 2014

The little things...

Well I haven't had a lot to write about the past couple of days but today, there were a couple of things I noticed that got me really excited for when Grayson arrives.

The wife and I had to go to Target to grab a few things. As we strolled around the store we were walking past the toys section.  Kids with their parents, trying to convince them they NEED a particular toy.  I remember as a kid going on a trip to the store and how exciting it was.  And maybe, just maybe, I would get lucky enough to get to pick out a toy.

Later after we finished up at Target, we decided to stop at Kohr Bros for some frozen custard.  It was really nice to just sit outside, talk and have a yummy treat.  It made think about Kohr Bros on the boardwalk at the beach and how kids would be so excited to get a fun treat.  The laughter and the smiles.

It was then when I realized the little things.  Every now and then its nice to check in with yourself and appreciate the little things.  I smiled to myself, even on the drive home.  I was in a great mood.  Singing my heart out to the Hall and Oats version of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" on the radio and making my wife laugh with my silly voices and awesome car dancing.  I'd ask her why she would be smiling or laughing.  And she would say because I was funny.  It made me think that when Grayson is in the car.  I'd probably not car dance as much, but still sing my heart out and making funny voices.  And hopefully making him laugh and/or sing along with me. 

These are moments I can't wait to share with my son.  And let him pick at out a toy every now and then at the store, or take him out for a treat and to just able to see a look of sheer joy in his face. (Even when it might be covered with maybe a large amount of melted chocolate or something.)

I know these are things that pretty much each and every parent gets to experience.  And that these things don't really have anything to do with being a transdad.  It just has to do with being a dad.  A regular dad.  And that's the best part.  To be able to soon experience something so simple, so innocent, and so "normal", is pretty spectacular in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment