Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How Does That Work?

Okay... lets do a real post now!

So as the weeks and days are fast approaching, I'm starting to get a bit more nervous.  Not in an "Oh my God... what did I get myself into." way.  But more of a "Oh shit... this is really happening." way.

There are things that I am constantly thinking about.  Sometimes I think its what keeps me up at night lately.  These things are simple.  And I'm sure every parent thinks about it... but maybe in a slightly different way. 

I've been thinking a lot about what he will look like.  What physical characteristics will he will take from Jen and what will he take from the donor?  Will he be blonde, or a brunette?  Will he have Asian eyes or not?  Genetics is a funny thing.  I am half Asian.. my mom Japanese and my biological father white.  Usually the Asian gene is much more dominate, those that are half Japanese like me usually look a lot more Asian.  I inherited most of the recessive genes I think.  G will be a quarter Asian... but there is still a big chance that he will look more Asian than me.  Which is fine by me! Everyone loves a cute Asian baby!

I blogged a while back about how I reached out to someone on Facebook that used the same donor we did and didn't think I would get a response back.  Well I did!  She was very nice and we talked about sharing pictures of our kids with each other.  I think this is a great resource.  Just to have someone to talk to I think is good.  Her little boy is adorable!  Its interesting to see what similar physical characteristics G will have with her kid. She set up a closed Facebook group for people that used the same donor so we all can be in contact with each other if we wanted.  There is another woman who just found out she is pregnant as well.  So exciting!!  I'm not gonna go into much detail with the other people because I want to respect their privacy.

Last week I received a random phone call from someone that I haven't talked to in over 3 years.  I didn't even have their number in my phone so I was hesitant to even answer it.  He called just to see how things have been with me since the move to Virginia.  I told him that the move here has been life changing.  I've been happier, I love my job, I was able to get top surgery and we are expecting a baby.

His first response.... "How does that work?"  What I wanted to say was, "What do you mean how does that work?  How the fuck do you think it works? Did you not take a biology class?  Do you not know what happens when a sperm and egg meet?" While I was thinking all these things he continued with, "So you guys just got some sperm or something?  Do you know the guy?" *facepalm*  I told him we went to a Cryobank and selected a donor and went to a doctor.   I didn't want to go into detail.  I don't really like talking about it in detail.  Not that I'm ashamed of it or anything.  But in all honesty... it doesn't matter.  The only time I'll probably talk about it in detail would be with other people who have to do the same thing for whatever their reason is.  Other than that... why we picked the donor, how we picked the donor, how much we had to pay, anything about the donor does... not... matter.

What matters is that I love my son with everything that I have and I will do whatever I can to make sure he knows that he is loved.  And that I'd do anything for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment